Night night sleep tight

Wed, Jun 17, 2009

Uncategorized

One lies softly curled around bear and dog.  Hair tousled, mouth open, a gentle rumbling coming from her sleep filled throat.  As I clamber over doll and teddy, book and CD, homework, coloured pencils, it strikes me that this one clings to things.  Holds on.  Surrounds herself with security, the familiar, the loved.  And I kiss her sleep sweet cheek and move aside a blonde tress.

The other lays halfway down the bed.  Favourite toys are scattered, but for one large shaggy pup who rests upon her small dark head, a nightcap and a cuddle.  Covers are pulled up to still baby features.  Books lay abandoned on her cool pillow.  Yet more have made the journey down to the bean bag beside her bed.  I tell her that it’s there for me to sit and read to her, but really it’s there to catch her should she fall.  I kiss her warm, slightly damp forehead and pull back the covers a little to cool her down.

And as I leave the room a wave of heart filled tenderness sweeps through me, tinged with a tiny slither of ‘almost’ sadness.  Because one has learnt the need to cushion herself.  To shield herself from the darkness.  I don’t know if that’s good or bad, but it’s so like me as a child.  I just hope she sees me as a cushion too

The other is less aware of the need for a soft landing.  The need to look before you leap, take care, hold on.  Those things I repeat to them both, day in day out.  She rushes at life without looking back and without looking ahead.  Sometimes she fills me with momentary terror, but mostly she lands on her feet

But right now they both sleep.  Safe and warm and loved.  And I am full.

12 Responses to “Night night sleep tight”

1. SingleParentDad Says:

Lovely, yet not so brilliant that the innocence of childhood is slowly ebbing away.

And if those wonderful girls wont lay on you, I’ll give it a go.

2. Jo Beaufoix Says:

Hee hee, I didn’t mean that kind of cushion you loon. Or are you being cheeky. Tsk. and I know, Miss E has a certain vulnerability in some ways now she’s coming up nine, but there’s innocence there too, just a more guarded one perhaps.

3. Maternal Tales Says:

Children are the most beautiful little things when they are asleep. It’s when they wake up they become terrors! Touchingly written x

4. Absolutely Write Says:

Aah, lovely picture you paint there. There is something about sleeping children that really pulls on the heart strings.

5. The Gossamer Woman Says:

I even still adore the sight of my very grown up sleeping daughter. It takes me back over the years back to when she was a little girl. That’s mother love for you. We’re forever stuck with it.

6. Daryl Says:

Just keep reminding and being there when things arent smooth .. its what life is all about no matter how old you are

7. Kimberly Says:

This is the most beautiful and heart touching post I’ve read in a good long while. You’re amazing, you really are.

8. Coding Mamma Says:

Beautiful thoughts. Thank you.

9. Corey~livingandloving Says:

This was incredibly moving, Jo. YOu blessed my hear with your words.

10. Garden Mum Says:

A lovely post. We worry about our little ones all the time but when they are tucked up in bed we can sleep easy. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.

11. Dancinfairy Says:

One of the things I most look forward to about becoming a Mum is watching my babies sleep. This is a beautiful post.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] This is a rowdy party – I have even more guests for you to get to know! Let me introduce you to Jo Beaufoix, she’s like Kate Moss but not! …And when you get her blog up I thought I was looking into a mirror – check out the picture! She says ‘Night night sleep tight’ describing children when they are the most beautiful. Read her post here. [...]